Thursday 12 September 2013

A Cinderella Story….until she meets Jeffrey Dahmer and loses more than her pumpkin carriage


Look, amidst the hugger-mugger between getting back from work and going to bed at 12:30….(No, no. No, no…ha…11:30 I tell the husband. He just cannot know! okthanksbye), soup is going to be your best friend. This one is a bit more special to me because it benefited from a last-minute change of plan (much the same way all our term papers did at uni). I was so immensely chuffed at the end of it I’ve decided to forgo all planning henceforth. Not that I have ever been hyperopic in the least, neither optically nor mentally. I think I have chanced upon a hypothesis almost Jungian in magnitude: that if one is a foodie—indeed obsessed with food and eating, one cannot see beyond the next meal and is thus averse to medium- to long-term planning. Moreover, if they were ever to become a murderer, they would likely commit le crime passionnel rather than be a methodical serial killer who doesn’t...erm...eat his victims. Jeffrey Dahmer comes to mind with glass slipper in hand.  

I digress.


Anyway, it’s pumpkin soup today, but with a little twist. You could of course make it exactly as you made the Vampire beetroot soup, but I was so inspired at the time I could feel a halo around my head. Here’s my Kumror Malai Kari (pumpkin curry in coconut milk).


You will need:

Pumpkin – you’ll need 500gm – so you can leave the rest to Cinderella (but please, steal the other shoe, too, ok?) - cubed

Onion – one large – chopped

Garlic – by now you  know garlic is as flexible as you are

Coconut cream – 2tbsp

Milk – half a cup

Garam masala

Olive oil

Salt/sugar/pepper – my MacDonald Triad if you please (pumpkin needs a bit of sugar)

Take a deep-dish pan, sauté the onion/garlic till they’re soft, add the pumpkin, add a very small pinch of garam masala at this stage, cover and cook on ultra-low heat till pumpkin a bit soft.

Then add the coconut cream, milk and water to cover the solid bits. Cover the pan and cook till done.

Add another pinch of garam masala and blitz.

And that’s how it’s done.

No comments:

Post a Comment